Tuesday, October 09, 2007

An assortment of randomness before returning to telling you how to live your life

The Jaco Pastorius 2-CD comp 'Punk Jazz' had got to be the most misnamed album ever. Jaco was great and all, but this album is about as punk as the Scooby-Doo episode where Scrappy wears the Devo hat. Most of it is like 'Jaco sits in with Johnny Carson's Tonight Show Old White Guy Jazz Band'. Oy. Thank god this was a library thing. Just get the Weather Report albums he played on.

On the other end of the spectrum, the Desmond Dekker comp I picked up was wonderful. In the 60s ska was really great, and ever since then it's been a long horrible slide toward the Mighty Mighty Bosstones and punky McSka bullshit.

The cafeteria at the branch in Ireland is AWESOME! Tandoori chicken the first day we were there. Thank God I wasn't paying though, with the US dollar to Euro conversion now a bowl of soup works out to $12 or something.

Ireland in general is great. Except for the clueless fucktards who stumble on my 'Fun Facts About Limerick' entry from last year and fail to get it and get all righteously indignant. We all know, people are the same wherever you go, there is good and bad, woo-hoo, in everyone.

We all might have to go to Ireland or Denmark to work on our big global project. Otherwise all day it's 'how do I print this, help my aunt pick out a laptop, blah blah blah hello I'm stupid.' How are we supposed to get anything done with all that noise? Do I ask the marketing people how to write a listing when I sell something on E-Bay? The folks in Ireland and Denmark can come to the US, a big worker exchange thing.

I guess it's OK the Cubs fucked up again. I think more people have lived and died since they last won the World Series than lived and died before it (population explosion and all that).

I really can't imagine ever working in Indianapolis ever again. Bloomington is so much better. I'd have to develop a crack or gambling addiction and need the money really bad. And now Bitch Daniels in bed with that 'Cha-Cha' search engine guy. That Cha-Cha search engine is more of an embarassment to Hoosiers than that Jim Jones motherfucker who had the cult and made people drink the Kool-Aid. WTF. You might as well start your own Internet as go up against Google. Google owns you!

Maybe downtown Indianapolis would be OK if I really had to, but lord god almighty the North Side and Carmel is an abomination and insult to all that is good and human. The center of the evil is the Cheesecake Factory, where the portions are large enough to feed entire villages in developing countries. I think they film the restaurant employees throwing the food down the garbage disposal and then ship the footage to Robert Mugabe who shows it to his imprisoned and starving enemies, for that extra level of evil. It's NOT a nice place. Even that town I lived in in New Jersey was much better. No matter how much you grow up and don't want to listen to hardcore anymore, some yuppies just still disgust you.

This was a writing technique that involved not slowing down to Google things.

Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation still sounds really good. I played it for my daughter the other day. She didn't complain, but hasn't asked to hear it again, either. It's cool how Lee and Thurston spent their lives in an alternate guitar universe, developing a style that didn't really have much to do with rock guitar playing as the world knew it (let's make it sound like the song explodes, then the film is played backwards) and actually sounded horrible to quite a lot of people, but I could still listen to that again and again, nearly 20 years later.

I'm buying an Apple laptop soon. I am so very done with Dell. 'Shut down the company and distribute the money to the shareholders', indeed.

The End

No comments: